9.07.2006

the roots and dj z-trip at the roxy

MySpace peeps invited me to their MySpace’s The List presents The Roots with DJ Z-Trip special concert at the Roxy last night. Getting in wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Emil and I sort of squeezed our way to the front of the line and were in the Roxy within seconds. The Roxy is a small venue, so the performance did feel very intimate and exclusive.

I’m not much of a Roots fan, but I really liked ?uestlove’s percussion opening (maybe because I played the snare drum in 5th grade). Black Thought, the lead MC, wasn’t engaging but he was sweating profusely and had a crazy look in his eyes.


The best part of the night had to be DJ Z-Trip. His set was totally amazing. The audience was really into his mash-ups. People were bopping to the beat, singing along and urging him to up the bass. Z-Trip’s use of records (no mp3s here!) felt like we were experiencing a genuine old school DJ performance.


On a side note, people who make out during hip hop concerts are freakin’ weird and gross. If you insist on fondling and groping each other, please take it to the back of the room. I’m sure the performers onstage would agree with me that the front row is not the place for you to be fornicating. It’s disgusting and rude!

No comments: