3.18.2006

a nude night with the matadors


Friday night at the Cooper Design Space in downtown Los Angeles proved to be a one-of-a-kind experience for me. P. Ka Bu's Salon De La Mode featured the fashion of Maggie Barry, where the boundaries of a traditional runway show were crossed through the addition of movement and performance. In the place of a stage, the models came through curtains in groups and into a circle of flowers. Male and female models interacted and there was even a model that did multiple flips, headstands, and ballet movements.

Maggie Barry's
Fall 2006 Collection, "A Nude Night with the Matadors," was exactly that. The guys were wearing some sort of low-rise spandex pants. Most were shirtless. This matador look is definitely not attractive to me. Butt crack is ewww. The guys were really buff, but none were hot. In fact, the guys were creepy looking and kind of old. Barry's women collection had tons of leather accents everywhere. The dresses and suits within the 5 categories (nudes, rib it, New Jersey, bright nights, and lace and blue velvet) had a romantic-gothic-flamenco feel. Everything from the skirts and gowns to the suits and capris were skin tight. The waistline was the focus of attention on the bottoms. The entire collection was a combination of varying textures including: knit jersey, leather, lace, and fur. Every single piece fit the theme of the collection perfectly. I don't think I'll be wearing any of Barry's styles because it's too sexy, too bright, and too tight for a fall line.

The aspect of the show that I enjoyed most was the singer and the live guitar players. I didn't understand anything she was singing, but it sounded good and flowed well with the fashion show.

The work of Miguel Angel Reyes
was on display. Very erotic... let me allow the picture to speak for itself.

My favorite discovery from this show are the coochie covers we got. Haha! No more panty lines with Commandos! They are like a pad that's squiggly shaped and are supposed to be stuck to your pants, so that you don't have to wear any type of underwear. They are disposable and made of cotton. I seriously can't wait for my opportune to try them out!

In the gift bag: box of 8 Commandos
, Margarita King baby bottle (yeah, I don't know why either), $100 gift card for Tejani jewelry, first issue of California Apparel News' New Resources, and a Maggie Barry black/glitter crochet wrap.

Thanks to Jose Angel for the invite!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I like your blog. You're very funny!

Check out my band. I think you will like it.

myspace.com/backyardsympathy